Nov 9, 2008

THE POWER OF YOU!

I just read this wonderful thought of an Angelic bishop...


""
When I was young and free and my imagination had no limits,
I dreamed of changing the world.

As I grew older, I realised the world would not change.
And I decided to shorten my sights and change my country.
But it too, seemed immovable.

As i entered my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt,
I sought to change only my family.
Alas, they would not change.

And now, as I lie on my deathbed, and realize( for the first time),
that,, if only I would've changed myself first,
Then ,by example I would've changed my family
And with their encouragement and support,
I may have bettered my country, and who knows?
Maybe I could've changed the world?

""

Powerful thought.
Not possible , you think?
Here's an example.

I recently read an article in the National Geographic on a region in China called Wenzhou.
Wenzhou is a cursed place.
No crops can grow there. The land in fact, is so bad that even roads can't be built there. In fact any Industrial Development progam would prove to be futile here.
But Wenzou has the advantage of an undying enthusiasm of the local people.
Families opened tiny workshops with fewer than a dozen workers and they produced simple goods. Over time the workshops blossomed into full scale industries and Wenzhou came to dominate certain low-tech industries. Today, one- quarter of the shoes worn by the world come from Wenzhou. The province makes 70% of the world's cigarette lighters. Over 90% of Wenzhou's economy is private.
The Wenzhou model has become a source of inspiration for the rest of the Zhejiang region in which Wenzhou lies.
80% of the Zhejiang enterpreneurs have an education of less than 8 years...

And it so happens, that this area has become now, the richest in the country! Industries are built within one day, plans are made within hours...and a dream of a young poor Chinese is converted to reality just within 48 hrs.

Magic.

The government there soon realised the power of the people's constructiveness. They promoted such industries and allow them to grow freely all over China.
And today, everyone watched in awe, as China played a fantastic host to the world's biggest games, The Olympics.
Maybe the little toy you got from Mc'Donald's today comes from Wenzhou. Maybe ten industries worked for an hour to get the final product for you. Maybe a village full of Chinese youth earned their wages, because you were ready somewhere in the world to buy a Happy Meal.

The point is that a poor village of strong minded poor Chinese people are changing the face of China as I am typing these words.

And if an 8-grader can bring about such a vast change...just by changing his own surroundings, then why can't we?
The world's a small place today.
It's reach, however ,is large.
I think it's time to harness this flat world's opportunities, to build ...not to destroy.
The world's moving towards becoming a village, JOIN THE CLUB!

3 comments:

Harshad said...

truly inspirational......

Anonymous said...

It is thought provoking and also reminds me of an example closer home...
That is of Kisan Baburao Hazare, popularly known as Anna Hazare (January 15, 1940), an Indian social activist who is especially recognized for his contribution to the development of Ralegaon Siddhi, a village in Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra, India and his efforts for establishing it as a model village, for which he was awarded the Padma Bhushan by Govt. of India, in 1992.

Anonymous said...

aah nice perspective. Yes, charity begins at home and in essence with yourself. It is however easier for us to say these things than actuallly doing it, changing things is never easy and if you do want to do somthing you got to start with yourself, like you pointed out.
nice one
cheers!